Need Help With What To Enter? Questions About the Options? Here You Go!
Thank you for your interest in the Barn Hunt event being held at NRG Center in conjunction with the Houston World Series of Dog Shows! To answer a few questions, we've put up this text about the event. If your answer is not here, please feel free to CONTACT US and we'll get back to you!
- Rat N Go is basically an instinct course set up, you pay to play, and we follow the rules of the basic instinct course (see the barn hunt rules link below). A correct ID of the rat tube will earn you a "pass" and a prize. There will be someone to tell you if you've chosen the right tube and there will be a blind set up before you run as well. This is ideal if you're not sure what's going on and just want to give it a whirl with minimal assistance. Time limit is one minute to locate the correct rat tube. Cost is $10 per run.
- Mini Clinic will have an experienced trainer on the course helping you and your dog investigate the sport briefly and narratives/questions will be discussed during this time. This is ideal if you've never played in Barn Hunt and would like a little more one on one attention. It will be excellent to watch the other dogs and learn as well. These are short sessions, designed to just get the dog a little more interested in the game at the event. Sessions will be 5 minutes each. Cost is $20 and limited to one dog/handler per day and maximum of 12 participants per day.
- Fun Tests are run like a "real" trial for our club to get practice and work out glitches. A judge will be there, all rules observed, etc. Due to the size of the venue (and having it later in the day), we're only offering Instinct, Novice, and Open levels this time so everyone can get home at a reasonable time. Just like a real trial, you would enter whatever level you're eligible for (if you've never competed with that dog, both Instinct and Novice would be technically acceptable). This is if you feel your dog can complete the course well or you just want to try it and the other times won't work for you. It will be much more formal than the earlier events, so be ready to go! Times vary according to level, please see the rules for what each level requires as well as other rules such as time. Instinct runs are $10, Novice and Open are $15. 30 runs maximum per Fun Test.
- Dogs do not have to have BHA numbers for any event on this weekend and there will be day of event entries for the Rat N Gos, any available Clinic spots, but pre entries will have a designated ring to help with conflicts in other sports. Fun Test is pre entry only. Please observe the Open and Close dates for the event (Open June 6th, Close July 4th for pre registration). Any pre entries received before or after this time will be returned to the sender. Cancellations/refunds for the Fun Test are stated in the premium.
- Aggressive (towards people or other dogs) dogs will not be allowed to participate and will be asked to leave the event area if there is an issue (no refunds will be issued). Be aware that the dogs will be "blinded" (placed into a small area to await your turn to hunt) when you are within 5 dogs of running the course. If your dog is unable to quietly rest in a small area with up to 5 dogs as well as wait in any possible line, please reconsider this event. We expect a lot of interest and a lot of activity in the event areas and want to make sure everyone and every pet stays as safe as they can.
- The premium for the Fun Test is below and the entry for the Rat N Gos and Mini Clinics are below as well. Please be sure you're selecting the correct form for the correct event.
- Barn Hunt Rules are here: http://www.barnhunt.com/rules/barnhuntrules_2014_final.pdf if you want to see what the levels require and look like.
- Here's a nifty interactive flow chart to help you decide what to enter if you need help: